Image Map

ShareThis

Monday, March 21, 2011

I know that I don’t post recipes too often here (I hope that changes soon) but this is one of my all-time favorite chicken recipes and it’s a definite must-try! 

 

If you’ve never heard of Coconut Chicken (no not the Asian kind) then just think Coconut Shrimp only with chicken…major yum right?  One of my favorite restaurants to eat at around here is De Sha’s and this is my favorite thing to order there.  It does take a while to prepare the chicken and then fry it, but it is SO worth it!  Enjoy!

 

coconut chicken

 

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (for coating chicken and beer batter)

1 bag of sweetened shredded coconut

1 1/2 cups of lite beer (I used Miller Lite)

2 (1.5 pound) packages of Tyson chicken tenderloins

1 cup of milk

salt and pepper (to taste)

1/4 tsp. paprika

oil for frying

 

coconut chicken ingredients

 

Step-by-Step Directions

Pre-heat oil for frying.  You will need 3 deep containers or baking dishes, one for each step of the coating process.  In the first dish combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, and paprika and set aside.  004

 

In the next dish combine 1 1/2 cups of lite beer, 1 cup milk, and 1 1/2 cups (to start) all-purpose flour.  Blend mixture until it becomes the consistency of pancake batter (I’ve found that a runny batter will NOT make the coconut stick as it should).  coconut chicken recipe

 

 

 

In the last dish place half of the bag of shredded coconut.  You will end up using the entire bag, but because the beer batter can make the coconut clumpy you will want to add it half at a time.  coconut chicken recipe

 

One piece of chicken at a time place first in the flour mixture and turn to coat, next place the chicken tender into the beer batter also turning to coat, and last place the chicken tender into the coconut and turn to coat well.  Repeat this process with all pieces of chicken.  I find it easier to coat all of the chicken at once and then place into the refrigerator until ready to fry, the coconut seems to stay on the chicken better if the chicken is places in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before frying.

coconut chicken recipe

 

coconut chicken

 

coconut chicken

 

One piece at a time, add chicken to hot oil and cook until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels or baking rack.  Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!  coconut chicken

 

coconut chicken

4 comments :

  1. Wow that sounds delicious. I'm the only one who likes coconut in my family though, so I'd have to do theirs plain, boring kids and hubby lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fabulous and the coconut really only adds a subtle sweetness, you don't really get too much coconut flavor. I can get all 6 of our kids to eat it which never happens lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. I love chicken and anything friend is that much better. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I will need to talk Melinda into making this one night for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive had coconut shrimp before, but this is something i would have never thought of. I will bet it is equally as good

    ReplyDelete

Can you relate? Well let me know about it!