That said I do cook, EVERY day and for the most part it's quick simple meals that I know my kids will eat and that I know require very little effort on my part. Anyway one of my favorite people to steal recipes from is Rachel Ray...she seems to share my affection for quick and easy meals. This past summer I was watching her morning show and saw her make something that stole my heart...Taco Pockets. Two of my very favorite things in this world are tacos (I would so eat them every day if I could) and cheese burgers, so this recipe is without a doubt one of my favorites...enjoy!
- 1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin or ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon, (a palmful) dark chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) coarse salt,
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) vegetable oil,
- 4(12-inch diameter) soft flour tortillas
- 1 cup mild taco sauce
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack
Combine ground meat with onion, garlic, spices, and salt and form 4 patties. Pan fry patties in 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat for 7 minutes on each side.
To make a taco pocket, blister a flour tortilla on a hot griddle pan for 30 seconds on each side. Place tortilla on dinner plate and spread surface with 1 /4 cup mild taco sauce. Pile shredded lettuce, tomatoes and a handful of cheese in center of tortilla. Top veggies and cheese with cooked taco burger patty and wrap tortilla up and over patty on all four sides. Turn square pouch over and cut from corner to corner, making 2 taco pockets that will not crumble and drip like traditional tacos.
This pic is mine. The one above is courtesy of Rachel Ray. Somehow looking at this picture mines falls short, but I promise it was YUMMY!
I also like to add sour cream to mine. I swear to you these are so much better than regular tacos and they are so easy and not at all messy for the little ones...just make sure you get the biggest tortilla's you can find...I made a mistake and bought small ones the first time and it did not work!