You may remember last year when, as part of my annual Fun in the Sun blog party, I had the chance to work with Betty Crocker to give away a laptop to one Misadventures in Baby Raising reader (as well as a child from Africa) as part of the Win & Give campaign!
Well, guess what?
I’m happy to announce that Misadventures in Baby Raising is participating in the same campaign this year! It’s awesome to be able to hook one of y’all up with one of the XO laptops, but it’s even better knowing that in some small way, MIBR has helped better the life of a child! That is truly one of the most remarkable things about being a blogger, the ability to participate in programs that are bringing about positive change in children’s lives!
In case you’re not familiar with the “Win & Give” campaign, I want to tell you what it’s all about, it really is an awesome campaign that I’m more than happy to participate in!
Betty Crocker® Fruit Flavored Snacks and parenting expert Dr. Michele Borba have partnered to make giving back easy though the “Win & Give” campaign. Now through May, kids in the U.S. have a chance to win laptops and help donate laptops to kids in Africa. The campaign shows moms and kids that even the smallest of acts can make a big difference and that giving to others can be fun.
Having a giving heart is important, as 93 percent of moms would exude more pride if their children grew into giving adults than if they were wealthy, according to the “Kids’ Altruism Indicator.” But, between work, school and after-school activities, it can be hard for families to find the time to give back. Dr. Borba recommends five ways families can incorporate giving into their everyday lives:
· Tap into kids’ passions. For instance, an animal lover may get excited about helping at a local animal shelter. Encourage children to become involved in causes they care about. Let them lead the charge and follow-up with support.
· When watching the news, take the time to explain hot button issues and how people have been affected by local disasters, like hurricanes or tornados. Kids are compassionate and may proactively want to help by donating clothes or writing letters to those affected. Especially when they know they can make a difference. Take that moment to mobilize compassion - “What can we do?” is a great question that empowers children to lead the way.
· Be on the lookout for local opportunities to help. There are often ways families can help through local food or clothes drives. Parents and kids should do the activity together so they can experience and witness the impact of giving as a family. Kids will see the joy their parents get from giving back and it will help them catch the spirit of giving.
· Leverage holidays to talk to kids about giving back. For example, talk about giving around the winter holidays or discuss the troops around 4th of July and Memorial Day. Don’t forget to put the talk into action. Become a home that encourages giving, the more active kids are in experiencing giving, the more likely they are to develop empathy.
· Find easy ways to help others around the world through opportunities such as helping to give laptops to kids in Africa through the Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks “Win & Give” campaign.
 2010 “Kids’ Altruism Indicator,” http://winonegiveone.com/pdf/wingive-parentingresults.pdf
“Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks believes that every kid can be a hero, so we’re helping them make a great impact on the lives of kids in Africa,” said Ben Mand, brand marketing manager, Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks. “The ‘Win & Give’ campaign provides kids in the U.S. an opportunity to win a laptop, as well as the chance to see the impact these laptops have on students in Africa.”
To participate in the “Win & Give” campaign, grocery shoppers should look for specially-marked Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snack packages in stores. Each specially-marked package contains a code that consumers can enter at WinOneGiveOne.com to see if they’ve won an XO laptop. For every child that wins in the U.S., Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks, in partnership with the non-profit One Laptop per Child, will donate a laptop to a child in Africa. Additionally, every code that is entered at WinOneGiveOne.com will help donate additional laptops to kids in Africa.
For every 100 UPC codes entered, Betty Crocker® Fruit Flavored Snacks will donate 1 XO laptop™ to a kid in Africa, up to 1,725 laptops from 11/15/11-7/31/12!!
It’s very important to me personally to help when I can, but as a mom it’s just as important that I instill that same giving attitude within my children. That’s why I truly do love this campaign, it allows me as a mom and a blogger to show my children that if everyone does something small to help out, change can happen in a big way!
The Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks “Win & Give” campaign provides an opportunity for kids in the US to win an XO laptop and give a laptop to a child in Africa! And I’m so happy to announce that one of YOU will WIN an XO laptop and that when you win, a child in Africa will also receive the same XO laptop…how awesome is that?
To find out more about the “Win & Give” campaign, you can visit the “Win & Give” website!
One Misadventures in Baby Raising winner will win an XO laptop and Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks!
You can check out the official rules and enter, below using the Rafflecopter widget!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post...XO laptop and Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks for the winner are being provided by sponsor.