Image Map

ShareThis

Thursday, March 4, 2010

All four of my children are big cereal eaters, I could make them a gourmet breakfast and 9 times out of 10 they would still choose cereal for breakfast. While I don’t mind letting them eat cereal, the cereal choices they sometimes make are not as healthy as I would like.

image

When I was given the opportunity to participate in a campaign for General Mills from My Blog Spark I was stoked, I given the fact that my kids are hardcore fans of the crunchy stuff this was right up my alley. When I found out that General Mills had made a commitment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to children 12 and under I was impressed to say the least! As a mother knowing that companies are not only listening to what we have to say, but also actively striving to improve their products make me very happy. In the process of doing this review I’ve learned quite a few things about cereal and cereal eaters that I wasn’t aware of prior to my review so I thought I’d share some of them with you.

  • Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters? Cereals also deliver important vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, making cereal a top source of key nutrients in children’s diets.
  • Ready-to-eat cereals, including presweetened cereals, account for only 5% of sugar in children’s diets.
  • Ready-to-eat cereal is the No. 1 source of whole grains in a child’s diet today.
  • More frequent cereal eaters tend to have healthier body weights and lower Body Mass Index measures.

I’m not sure about you but knowing some of those facts makes it a little easier for me to be alright with my kiddos making cereal as their breakfast of choice!

Of course this wouldn’t be a very good review if I didn’t tell you my thoughts on the cereal, right? Needless to say my children loved all of the cereals we tried; Kix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Lucky Charms are all favorites at our house and knowing that each of the cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals and boast less sugar is a very comforting feeling! For more information about the benefits of cereal you can visit the General Mills website.

Information in this post as well as the free cereal coupons I received were provided by General Mills through My Blog Spark.

Categories:

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Can you relate? Well let me know about it!