Image Map

ShareThis

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

When my husband and I began dating nearly six years ago I was adamant about not wanting to get remarried; I had been through one awful marriage and was in the process of an even worse divorce and I knew that I wanted no part of anything like that again.  My husband on the other hand, saw things a little differently and two weeks into our relationship, standing in the middle of the kitchen, he looked at me and said, “You’re going to marry me!”.  I began hysterically laughing and then countered with, “When you take me to Italy, I’ll marry you.”, since I knew that Jamie had no desire to ever leave the good old U.S.A. I thought my compromise was one that would hold water, but he just smiled and said, “We’ll see!”. 

Over the next year he asked me a half dozen times to marry him, on one knee with a ring and all, but I stood firm in my decision to never go down that road again.  Until Valentine’s Day 2007 when in a moment of pregnancy induced weakness, while he was on one knee with a gorgeous ring in one hand and a teddy bear in the other I said YES!  Almost as quickly as I had said yes I through in a condition, “but only if you take me to Italy!”.  He promised me that he was working on it and while I definitely had my doubts, the man doesn’t even like to ride in the car with someone else to the next town, let alone fly in a plane to another country, I agreed to marry him anyway.

Jamie and I were married in the spring of 2009 and my dreams of traveling to Italy to toss coins in the Trevi Fountain and walk through what remains of The Colosseum seemed as far off as they ever were.  Over the next year and a half I slowly began to realize that my husband had tricked me into marrying him, yeah I should have known better, but what can I say… he’s kind of hot.    Then one day last month I happened to come up behind Jamie while he was on the computer and I nearly fell over when I saw that he was searching for hotels in ItalyThis is the conversation that followed my discovery!

Me:  (Barely able to contain myself) What are you doing?
Jamie:  Now don’t get too excited, but I promised you I’d take you to Italy right?
Me:  (About to burst with excitement) YES, yes you definitely did!
Jamie:  Well, I’m looking into the possibility of us going in the near future.
Me:  (Alright so it wasn’t  the exact answer I was looking for, but I’ll take it) Are you sure?  I mean are you serious?  Oh my goodness what am I going to wear?
Jamie:  See, I knew it was a bad idea to search this kind of thing from home. 

image

So, it wasn’t the definite, we’re going to Italy in a few months, answer that I wanted, but it was a start!  It was actually so much more than a start, it was confirmation that even though my husband may have tricked me into marrying him he wasn’t half bad after all!  Italy here we come—sometime in the near future that is!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Can you relate? Well let me know about it!