Image Map

ShareThis

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One of the best parts of having a blog (for me anyway) is having the ability to spread the word about causes that are important to me.

After my middle daughter was born I had my six week post-partum check-up, not thinking anything about it because in my mind it was just another routine pap smear, I put it out of my mind and forgot about it completely. Until a couple of weeks later when I received a post card (really a post card) in the mail from my OB telling me that my pap results were abnormal…I remember freaking completely out and not knowing what to do. Several anxious weeks and a few more tests later all of the tests had come back normal and I breathed a very grateful sigh of relief. Unfortunately many women who experience situations similar to the one I had, don't get to breathe that sigh of relief—many women don’t even know how important Pap tests are and that getting them regularly can actually help save their lives.

A few weeks ago I was approached to do a review for a new eye shadow palette by sought after make-up artist Debra Macki, I was all in (I mean what woman doesn’t love make-up?). When I found out that Debra had designed the eye shadow palette in conjunction with The Yellow Umbrella (founded by musician and cervical cancer survivor Christine Baze) in recognition of cervical cancer awareness month I knew this was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. Cervical cancer has been something that I’ve made myself aware of solely because of my experience and the experiences of those closest to me; my mother and my sister both have had cervical cancer scares within the last few years making me super aware of the importance of regular pap tests.

Christine Baze was 31 years old—playing music and living her life when she was diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer. Christine fought cancer and won and now she’s making it her mission to spread one very simple, very important message…cervical cancer is preventable! Christine created The Yellow Umbrella Organization to help educate and empower women—to encourage them to talk to each other—to what what we can to fight the fight and help prevent cervical cancer.

YellowUmbrellaLogo

AboutTheYellow Umbrella Organization

Elmira, NY native Christine Baze is an accomplished musician and cervical cancer survivor living in Salem , MA . At 40, she is the Executive Director of The Yellow Umbrella Organization, and uses her story, voice, and music to help raise awareness of HPV, cervical cancer and opportunities to prevent this deadly disease. She has taken her Yellow Umbrella Tour to 100 stops across the USA and Canada, and is now reaching even deeper into communities with her Paint it Yellow program - finding creative ways to reach out, educate and empower women to take control of their own health. Of note, Christine was named one of MS magazine's “50 Women of the Year" in 2003, she was given a Presidential Leadership award in 2005, and in 2007 was named one of the "Women Who Shape the World" in Shape Magazine. In addition, she has shared the stage and opened for a number of national musicians including, Sheryl Crow, Ben Folds, Kaki King and The Fray.

About Debra Macki

Following in the footsteps of other legendary makeup luminaries is one of the industry's most sought after makeup artists: Debra Macki. There is no question this thirty-something year old celebrity makeup artist, cosmetic creator, and educator is one to watch.

Debra created her own line of makeup that reflects her style and vision of beauty. Debra Macki Cosmetics can be found at select makeup boutiques nationwide. She is also Style Editor for Jamn945.com and Kiss108.com.

"Debra Macki is makeup for the "it" girl. Products like Cheeky and Cyberdust were inspired by the faces I've painted at fashion shows and photo shoots," says Debra. "These products reflect individuality and fun. If you don't have fun putting makeup on then you shouldn't be wearing it!"

Clients include: Rihanna, Nina Sky, Cherish, Cyndi Lauper, Maria Menounos, Kathie Lee Gifford, Dr. Oz, Vice President Al Gore, Miss USA & Miss Teen USA title holders, Karina Pasian, Christine Baze, Bad Boy Recording Artists, Susie Castillo, JADA, Roshumba, and the Ramiro & Pebbles Morning Show (JAM'N 94.5 Boston).

Debra Macki has been seen in Vogue, Seventeen Magazine, Redbook, Boston Magazine, The London Times, Woman's World, O Magazine (Oprah), Good Housekeeping, Popstar Magazine, Quick and Simple Magazine, Girl's Life, Bop, Playgirl, Modern Bride, Teen, Seventeen, Makeup Artist Magazine, The Knot, the San Diego Union Tribune and on The Early Show on CBS.gI_0_palettephoto

As I mentioned earlier I received the Debra Macki for Yellow Umbrella eye shadow palette to review and I’ve rocked it exclusively since I received it. The eye shadow palette contains three fabulous shades inspired by Monaco; Nude Shimmer, Purple Sparkle, Blue Sparkle—the three colors are meant to represent the three steps you can take to prevent cervical cancer: HPV vaccine, Pap test, and HPV test and Pap. The best part about this eye shadow palette is that 80 percent of the cost of the palette ($36) goes back to the Yellow Umbrella Organization.

I strongly encourage all of you to check out both The Yellow Umbrella Organization and Debra Macki websites!

disclosure button

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Can you relate? Well let me know about it!