One of my family’s favorite meals is pizza; I’m convinced that all four of my children would be content with pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week—yes, it’s that major!
While I do enjoy pizza, in moderation, I get bored with the same old pizza and when that happens there’s only one solution—I make homemade calzones! And they are Ah-Mazing!
Since I’m sure I’m not the only Mom who gets tired of the same old pizza, I thought I’d share this simple recipe so you can try it at your house! I will say that while the recipe is simple. it does take a little time if you’re using homemade pizza crust (which I was) I decided that for simplicity’s sake I would recommend refrigerated pizza crust in place of homemade!
Homemade Supreme Calzones
Yield: 2 Large Calzones
2 ready to use refrigerated pizza crusts
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 package pepperoni
1 jar pizza sauce (I prefer and always use Ragu traditional pasta sauce in place of pizza sauce)
1 large green pepper
1 medium onion
1 8 oz. package of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 stick of butter
2 cloves of garlic minced (or 1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic powder)
olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees (heat oven according to pizza crust packaging).
2. Crumble and brown ground beef until cooked through. Drain any fat from meat and set aside.
3. Melt butter on low, once butter had melted add garlic powder or minced garlic (whichever you prefer).
4. Roll out pizza dough onto a greased pizza pan.
5. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of pizza (or pasta sauce) onto pizza dough, spread pizza sauce onto half of the pizza crust.
6. Spoon half of the ground beef onto pizza crust, spread ground beef evenly on top of the pizza sauce.
7. Layer pepperoni on top of ground beef. Repeat layering with green pepper, onion, parmesan and mozzarella.
8. Once all toppings are added, fold empty side of crust overtop of the filling side. Using your fingers (a fork works as well) crimp the edges of the pizza dough together, making sure to seal all opening. With a knife cut two small slits in the top of pizza crust (to allow for venting of steam).
9. Take butter/garlic mixture and brush over the top and edges of calzone.
10. Bake in a 475 degree oven until golden brown.
Each calzone can be cut into thirds, topped with remaining parmesan and served with remaining pizza sauce!